Available to non-Penn State users?
Michele Diaz, SLEIC Director of Human Imaging
SLEIC 3T MRI Facility
University Park, PA 16802
The MRI Simulator provides a realistic approximation of an actual MRI scanner to allow habituation and training of participants in an environment less daunting than a real scanner.
- Training and habituation of participants in an authentic scanning environment
- Claustrophobia and anxiety screening
- Especially useful for special populations such as children, the elderly, and psychiatric participants
- Bore diameter = 60 cm (the same diameter as the 3T Trio)
- Realistic scanner body with sturdy steel frame construction
- Cooling fans and diffused lighting for participant safety and comfort
- Amplified speakers with subwoofer for realistic scanner noise production and vibration
- Quiet, motorized participant table with drag sensing safety stop and dynamic speed control
- Integrated control panel for participant table operation, fans, and lights
MRI studies require long periods of scanning with minimal participant movement. The procedure can be an unsettling experience for many participants causing excessive movement resulting in unusable data and lost funds. With the use of the MRI Simulator this failure rate can often be reduced below 5%, minimizing data loss. The MRI Simulator introduces the participant to an authentic scanning environment, permitting them to gradually become accustomed to the scanning procedure and trained to minimize movements. Allowing the participant to acclimate to the scanner before the actual session helps to prepare them and encourages a calmer and more focused participant, ultimately resulting in more productive scanning sessions.
SLEIC's MRI Simulator was purchased from Psychology Software Tools, Inc.